Thursday, June 18, 2009

Strawberry-Rhubarb Disaster

Today, after work, I eagerly got to my baking. I had made the pie crust yesterday, and got right to business rolling the dough, making the filling, designing a lovely steam-vent pattern on the top crust. I baked it. It was beautiful. It was golden. Puffed, with juicy drips of jam visible between the sparkles of sugar.

From the oven, I walked into my dining room to set it on the cooling rack. Inches from the cooling rack, I felt disaster looming: the butter from the crust had made the pie plate slippery, and it shot from my silicone-mitted hand, skidded off the table, and tumbled to the floor, onto our beige carpet. Yes, that's a sandal in the lower right corner.


I'd be lying if I said I didn't salvage the parts that landed on top. And you know what? It's fantastic.

5 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

How sad! It looks like it would have been a beautiful pie!

Siobhán said...

Oh Nooooo!!!! Your beautiful pie!! It looks like it was delicious anyway! :)

Stef said...

I love that you shared and that you were able to salvage it. I'm impressed!

Shannon said...

aww your poor pie and carpet! it looks like it was yummy anyways

this is what makes baking real

Siobhán said...

Well your pie disaster inspired me because I made a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie last night! I couldn't get the image of your ruined pie out of my head, it just looked delicious! Plus I wanted to practice using pastry, I had a new pie dish, and I happened to have strawberries and rhubarb... so I made pie! :) It's not a combination I've seen in Ireland - the Strawberry & Rhubarb - but I have to say I really like it! Thanks! :)